Click below for more information on the research topics:
Description of Research Interests
- Determination and modeling of pathogen survival associated with seafood and poultry cooked by microwave ovens
- High temperature and high pressure pasteurization for elimination of Salmonella and Listeria in liquid egg products
- Modeling of beef patty cooking
- Development of and optimization of combined processing technologies to preserve foods
- Development of treatments using electrolyzed oxidizing water to kill foodborne pathogens on produce, meat and poultry
- Improved processing technologies to increase cowpea utilization and improve nutrition
- Modeling heat and mass transfer during cryogenic freezing for system and food quality optimization
- Studies on the food cold chain
- CA storage for shelf-life extension
- Development of a value-added process for the retention of crispness in breaded shrimp
- High-speed laser-based fruit and vegetable maturity and texture measuring systems
- Using X-ray for on-line nondestructive sorting of watercore apples
Jadeja, R., and Y.-C. Hung. 2014. Efficacy of near neutral and alkaline pH electrolyzed oxidizing waters to control Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Salmonella Typhimurium DT 104 from beef hides. Food Control 41:17-20.
Waters, B., and Y.-C. Hung. 2014. The effect of organic loads on stability of various chlorine-based sanitizers. Int. J. Food Science and Tech. 49:867-875.
Zhao, T., P. Zhao, D. Chen, R. Jadeja, Y.-C. Hung, M. P. Doyle. 2014. Reduction of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli and Salmonella Typhimurium on beef trim by lactic acid, levulinic acid, and sodium dodecyl sulfate treatments. J. Food Prot. 77:1528-537.
Waters, B., and Y.-C. Hung. 2014. The effect of pH and chloride concentration on the stability and antimicrobial activity of chlorine-based sanitizers. J. Food Sci. 79:M622-M627.
Waters, B., J.M. Tatum, and Y.-C. Hung. 2014. Effect of chlorine-based sanitizers properties on corrosion of metals commonly found in food processing environment. J. Food Eng. 121:159-165.
Waters, B. and Y.-C. Hung. 2013. Electrolyzed water: food safety applications. In “Encyclopedia of Agricultural, Food, and Biological Engineering.” 2nd Ed. D. R. Heldman, ed. Taylor & Francis Group, NewYork.
Waters, B., and Y.-C. Hung. 2013. Evaluation of different methods for determination of properties of chlorine-based sanitizers. Food Control. 30:41-47.
Yemmireddy, V.K., M.S. Chinnan, W.L. Kerr, and Y.-C. Hung. 2013. Effect of drying method on drying time and physic-chemical properties of dried rabbiteye blueberries. LWT – Food Sci. & Tech. 50:739-745.
Jadeja, R., Y.-C. Hung and J.M. Bosilevac. 2013. Resistance of various shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli to electrolyzed oxidizing water. Food Control 30:580-584.
Jadeja, R. and Y.-C. Hung. 2013. Influence of nalidixic acid adaptation on sensitivity of various Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli to EO water treatment. LWT – Food Sci. & Tech. 54:298-301.
Basnet, P., R.P. Jadeja, Y-C Hung and Y.-P. Zhao. 2013. The Growth of α-Fe2O3 Nanorod Arrays and their Biocidal Properties against Escherichia coli O157:H7 under Visible Light. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 5:2085-2095.
Pangloli, P. and Y.-C. Hung. 2013. Reducing microbiological safety risk on blueberries through innovative washing technologies. Food Control 32:621-625.
Pangloli, P. and Y.-C. Hung. 2013. Effects of water hardness and pH on efficacy of chlorine-based sanitizers for inactivating Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Listeria monocytogenes. Food Control 32:626-631.
Kim, M., J. Fischer, and Y.-C. Hung. 2012. Effect of reconstituted apple juice with alkaline electrolyzed water on cell proliferation and apoptosis of HT-29 cells. Journal of Food and Drug Analysis. 20 (Suppl. 1): 301-304.
Kim, C. and Y.-C. Hung. 2012. Inactivation of E. coli O157:H7 on blueberries by electrolyzed water, ultraviolet light, and ozone. J. Food Sci. 77(4): M206-211.
Waters, B., M. Amazonas, and Y.-C. Hung. 2012. Electrolyzed oxidizing water generation methods. J. Functional Water. 7(1): 1-13.
Yemmireddy, V.K., and Y.-C. Hung. 2012. Drying characteristics of individually quick frozen (IQF) rabbiteye blueberries. Applied Eng. In Agri. 28(6): 877-883.
Wang, M., Z. Xin, B. Tonnis, G. Farrell, D. Pinnow, Z. Chen, J. Davis, J. Yu, Y.-C. Hung, and G. A. Pederson. 2012. Evaluation of sweet sorghum as a feedstock by multiple harvests for sustainable bioenergy production. Journal of Sustainable Bioenergy Systems, 2, 122-137.