Graduate Statement of Purpose
What is a Statement of Purpose?
Each applicant to our graduate program must submit a Statement of Purpose (SOP). The Statement of Purpose is one of your primary opportunities to help our Graduate Affairs committee understand your academic objectives and determine if you are a good match for our graduate program. You want to introduce yourself and demonstrate to the committee that your background has prepared you for graduate studies in food science and that you have the potential to be successful in our graduate program.
The SOP is your opportunity to explain your interest in food science and the experiences that have prepared you for graduate studies. Include the description of skills, research experience and relevant work or internship experiences that have prepared you for graduate studies. The SOP is also a place, if necessary, to address any weaknesses in your academic record. In such situations, it is best to focus on how you overcame obstacles to reach your goals. Explain how the experience made you a better researcher/scholar/person, etc.
Be concise and focus on your academic background. The SOP should be 1-2 pages long. Below you will find suggested topics to address in your statement.
- Why do you want to enter a food science graduate program?
- Why do you think UGA might be a good fit for your goals?
- What are your research interests? (MS and PhD applicants)
- How did you become interested in food science research? (MS and PhD applicants)
- How did you prepare or are preparing to address the issues in food science?
- What characteristics (faculty/labs) of the school/department/program can help you accomplish your goals?
- What positive aspects do you bring to the school/department/program?
- Do you have a specific food science area of interest, or are you exploring all areas of food science?