Own this profile? Request changes
Description of Research Interests
Food Product & Ingredient Innovation Lab
New food product development, Food ingredient technology, Value-addition to food waste, Physicochemical properties and characterization of food ingredients, Muscle biochemistry and characterization of oxidized lipids and proteins, Enzyme-catalyzed functions, Quality and safety of meat and poultry products.
FDST 3000: Intro to Food Science and Technology
FDST 3700E: Survey of Food Processing
FDST 4250/6250: Principle of Food Product Development
FDST 4252/6252: Applied Food Product Development
First Year Odyssey (FYOS 1001): Rewiring Your Taste Buds for Processed Foods
Selected Recent Publications and Proceedings
1. Gonzales S., Pegg R., Singh, R. K., & Mohan A. (2021). Assessing the impact of 4-oxo-2-nonenal on lactate dehydrogenase activity and myoglobin redox stability. Food Bioscience. 101306. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psj.2021.101122
2. Long J., & Mohan A. (2021). Development of meat powder from beef byproduct as value-added food ingredient. LWT-Food Science and Technology, (146), 111460. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2021.111460. (Impact factor: 4.006)
3. Xinran X., Rothrock M. J., Mohan A., DevKumar G., & Mishra A. (2021). Using farm management practices to predict Campylobacter prevalence in pastured poultry farms. Poultry Science, Volume 100, Issue 6, June 2021, 101122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psj.2021.101122.
4. Long J. & Mohan A. (2021). Food flavoring prepared with lemon byproduct. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.15462.
5. Purohit A., Singh R. K., & Mohan A. (2020). Role of particulate carbon dioxide on removal of Salmonella and Listeria attached to stainless steel surfaces. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 122, 5 pages. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2019.108979 Warren S. E., Bowker B., & Mohan A. (2020). Physicochemical properties of beef tongue as a value-added meat product. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 88, 15. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2020.103433.
6. Mohan A., & Purohit A. (2020). Anti-Salmonella activity of pyruvic and succinic acid in combination with oregano essential oil. Food Control, 110, 6 pages. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2019.106960.
7. Purohit, A., & Mohan, A. (2019). Antimicrobial effects of pyruvic and succinic acids on Salmonella survival in ground chicken. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 116, 7 pages. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2019.108596.
8. Hwang D., White E., Purohit A., Mohan A., & Mishra A. (2019). Survival of Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Listeria monocytogenes in an acidified low-fat mayonnaise-based hibachi sauce. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 108, 297-300. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2019.03.060
9. Mohan A., & Singh R. K. (2016). Functional properties of carrageenan on color stability and sensory characteristics of beef steaks. Food Bioscience, 15: 72-80.
10. Mohan A., Tracy J., Kerr W., Singh R. K. (2016). Functional properties of bicarbonates on physicochemical attributes of ground beef. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 70: 333-341.
11. Purohit A., Reed C., & Mohan A. (2016). Development and evaluation of quail breakfast sausage. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 69: 447-453.
12. Mohan A., & Pohlman F. (2016). Role of organic acids and peroxyacetic acid as antimicrobial intervention for controlling Escherichia coli O157:H7 on beef trimmings. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 65: 868-873.
13. Ganashree N., Singh R. K., Hung, Y-C., & Mohan A. (2015). Radiofrequency pasteurization of inoculated ground beef homogenate. Food Control, 59: 59-67.
14. Goodson J., Beckstead R., Payne J., Singh R. K., & Mohan A. (2015). Amino acid sequence of Japanese quail (Coturnix japonica) and northern bobwhite (Colinus virginianus) myoglobin. Food Chemistry, 181: 256-262.
15. Ganashree N., Singh R. K., Hung Y-C, & Mohan A. (2015). Effect of radio-frequency on heating characteristics of beef homogenate blends. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 60: 372-376.
16. Lee N., Sharma V., Brown N., & Mohan A. (2015). Functional properties of bicarbonates and lactic acid on chicken breast retail display properties and cooked meat quality. Poultry Science, 94: 302-310.
17. Mehall L., Pohlman F., Brown A., Dias-Morse P., McKenzie L., & Mohan A. (2015). The influence of trisodium phosphate, potassium lactate, sodium metasilicate, cetylpyridinium chloride, or water as antimicrobial intervention systems on microbiological and instrumental color characteristics of beef biceps femoris muscles. The Professional Animal Scientist, 31: 315-323.
18. Purohit A., Singh R. K., Kerr W., & Mohan A. (2014). Effects of heme and nonheme iron on meat quality characteristics during retail display and storage. Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization, 9: 175-185.
19. Purohit A, Singh R. K., Kerr W., & Mohan A. (2014). Influence of redox reactive iron, lactate, and succinate on the myoglobin redox stability and mitochondrial respiration. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 62: 12570-12575.
20. Lee N., Sharma V., Singh R. K., & Mohan A. (2014). Effects of injection enhancement with carrageenan, sea-salt, and potassium lactate on beef longissimus lumborum muscle sensorial characteristics and color stability. Journal of Food Processing and Technology, 5: 001-009.
21. Mohan A., Pohlman F., McDaniel J., & Hunt M. C. (2012). Role of peroxyacetic acid, octanoic acid, malic acid, and potassium lactate on the microbiological and instrumental color characteristics of ground beef. Journal of Food Science, 77: M188-M193.
22. Mohan A., Hunt M. C., Barstow T., Houser T., Hueber D. (2010). Near-infrared oximetry of three post-rigor skeletal muscles for following myoglobin redox forms. Food Chemistry, 123: 456-464.
23. Mohan A., Hunt M., Muthukrishnan S., Barstow T., Houser T. (2010). Myoglobin redox form stabilization by compartmentalized lactate and malate dehydrogenases. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 58: 7021-7029.
24. Mohan A., Muthukrishnan S., Hunt M., Barstow T., Houser T. (2010). Kinetics of myoglobin redox form stabilization by malate dehydrogenase. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 58: 6994-7000.
25. Mohan A., Muthukrishnan S., Hunt M., Barstow T., Houser T. (2010). Effects of malate, lactate, and pyruvate on myoglobin redox stability in homogenates of three bovine muscles. Meat Science, 86: 304-310.
26. Mohan A., Hunt M., Barstow T., Houser T., Bopp C., Hueber D. (2010). Effects of fiber orientation, myoglobin redox form, and postmortem storage on NIR tissue oximeter measurements of beef longissimus muscle. Meat Science, 84: 79-85.
A., Sizer C., Dunn J., Hunt M. (2009). Inactivation of Bacillus subtilis spores with surface
active peracids and characterization of formed free radicals using electron spin resonance
spectroscopy. Journal of Food Science, 74: M411-M417.
28. Mohan A., Sizer C. (2005). Packaging for non-thermally and minimally processed foods. Food Technology, 76-77.